Saturday, May 31, 2008

My Glacier Hike




I went on a glacier hike and ice climbing the Sunday (May 18th) after we arrived – that was a blast! We hiked out about 3 miles one way onto the glaciers’ white ice and climbed a wall of ice that was about 15 feet up to get the feel for how to climb then we hiked over to a “moliun”,(sounds like moo lon) which is a big hole in the ice that has water in the bottom of it and this one had a stream running out of it. The ice wall was about 25 feet down to the water and the watering hole was about another 150 feet deep. We repelled down the side of the wall as far as we wanted to go and then climbed back out. It wasn’t as hard as I thought it might be and I surprised the younger people, who were with me (other staff) as well as myself on how well I did for my first trip. I hope to try this again this summer!